Sunday, July 20, 2008

PEAS SOUPE


I never actually liked pea soup until one very cold vacation day in Alaska. There I was on the deck, high freezing wind blowing in my face looking around at the beautiful icebergs refusing to surrendur to the warm envoirnmental controlled cruise boat interior. And there it was... a station passing out ham and pea soup. It looked to warm...albiet a little bit like baby food throwup. I figured it would be more like my own survivalman adventure, but it would keep me warm for another 30 mintues, and I was staying outside dammit! So I took the plunge: spoon into green goop, green goop into mouth! The experience was a little like falling in love actually. I've never tried to make it before, but I think this first go at pea soup was more than successful. I added a little carrot and onion to the peas just to mix it up. I don't think I will add carrot next time. It added a delightful sweetness, but the texture was all wrong. I made a vegan version, even though I know it would have tasted oodles better with some bacon and heavy cream mixed in. I guess I substituted the cream for soymilk and the bacon for carrots? This vegan version was still delicious, but definitely not the same thing as the full on bad for you fats version. Oh well...the sacrifices we make to live healthier lives.

No comments: