Monday, July 21, 2008

Saucy~

*gasp* I'm actually including a recipe for a quick noodle sauce. I don't think I've read anything else, although I'm sure it exists seeing as how I can't possibly be that innovative.

I always keep a jar of miso in my fridge. It's healthy and can be made into soup or a healthy flavor boost. This sauce came to be after a craving for cold sesame noodles. Now... there was a time back in college when I worshipped food groups falling under the category of nuke and eat within 5 minutes. And the particular flavor and texture of the sauce I was craving came in plastic package of specialty ramen. It was thick, sweet, and sour. I figured it would be in the family of peanut sauces. Since I had no peanuts or peanut butter, I grabbed the closest thing that vaguely resembled the texture of peanut butter, and that was my jar of miso. Added some soy, sesame oil, and balsamic vinegar to the miso. Stirred and...something with a similar consistency to my packaged sauce of memory appear
ed before me. Luckily, it tasted just as good if not better.

I usually just pour the sauce over some chilled noodles (ramen, somen, soba - doesn't matter. It'll taste just as good with spaghetti) But i could easily see this sauce in a stirfry. But that's as easy as it gets folks. It took me longer to type this post than to make the sauce, cook my noodles, and eat.

Sweet and Tart Sesame Sauce

1 tablespoon of miso (doesn't matter what kind, I use red)
1 teaspoon of vinegar (doesn't matter what kind, I use balsamic)
2 teaspoon of dark toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon of mustard (doesn't matter what kind, I use honey dijon)
dash of soy
pinch of pepper
1/4 teaspoon of sarachi (optional)

combine all ingredients
in no particular order, stir until everything is combined and sauce like. On a side note, the miso could probably be substituted with peanut butter and still taste just as good.


My final product looks like this. I add green onions, toasted black sesame seeds, and pickled garlic (pickled garlic is totally an acquired taste. Took my mother YEARS to even get me near the jar. Add with extreme-eme-eme cation)

No comments: